Friday 21 November 2008

Letter from Laurence Rees

Thanks very much for your note.

I'm afraid I simply didn't have space to include a discussion of these issues- fascinating as they are - in the Behind Closed Doors book.

I made a decision to begin the story in 1939 and so felt it wouldn't be helpful to refer back to this history. I'm sure others would have written the book differently, but for better or worse, that's what I thought was the right way forward.

Equally, I'm afraid I can't go into my views on Trotsky here as I Would need several thousand words to properly represent my view on that intriguing time. I believe my friend Professor Robert Service is writing a big biography of Trotsky at the minute, so it will be really interesting to see his thoughts.


Thanks again for your note.

No comments: