Thursday 17 August 2023

Interview with Guatemalan Writer David Unger

David Unger kindly interrupted his holiday to answer these questions. David’s splendid new book In My Eyes You Are Beautiful has just been published in English. It is available on Amazon.

Q. Given that there is no translator’s name on the book, I assume you translated this book into English. Did you incur any problems? Secondly, why did it take so long to appear in English?

A. Actually, In My Eyes, You Are Beautiful—like all my novels—was written in English. I left Guatemala when I was four, though I spent eight summers there living with my grandparents in downtown Guatemala City. Para mi, eres divina has been published three times in Spanish translation, but my agent wasn’t able to sell it to an English-language publisher. This begs the question of why. Either the novel wasn’t up to snuff, or U.S. editors felt uneasy publishing a novel about an indigenous Mayan girl written by a “Caucasian” man. Howard Aster, from Canada’s Mosaic Press, loved the novel and didn’t see a P.C. issue here. I am grateful to him for that, so after 12 years since I completed the novel, it has finally seen print. I hope that now that it is in English, perhaps it can be translated into other languages because I feel the story has both personal and universal appeal.

Q. As both a writer and translator, may I ask your opinion on the use of A.I.?

A. Oh my, Keith, that’s quite a question! Personally, I don’t think A.I. can capture the subtleties or nuances that transform good writing into great writing. I can’t see A.I. composing:

My mistress’ eyes are nothing like the sun.

Coral is far more red than her lips red;

If snow be white, why then her breasts are dun;

If hairs be wires, black wires grow on her head.

As for translation, again, I would say that the poetry and the humour would be lost. Last year, Penguin Classics published my re-translation of Miguel Angel Asturias’s Mr President, which is now in its 4th edition. I can’t imagine A.I. capturing the richness of this fantastic novel completed nearly 100 years ago!

Q. You have an extraordinary gift of combining Fiction with historical events. There seems to be a tradition among Latin American writers. Could you tell me your early influences?

A. That’s kind of you to say, Keith. All my novels have taken place during a particular historical moment in Guatemala, whether it be during the 1930s when a Fascist president sold the soul of the country to the United Fruit Company or during the armed conflict in Guatemala from the 70s to the 90’s. I can’t imagine writing a novel without a strong political backdrop. I think of The Mastermind, which has been translated into ten languages, as primarily a love story, but it is also a kind of cautionary tale which reveals that love, friendship and community are impossible when the political and economic system is corrupt and corrupted. My teachers were Rulfo and Vargas Llosa, but also Steinbeck, Austen and Joyce.

Q. As I said before, the book marries fictional characters with historical events. How much research do you have to do to make sure your work is historically accurate?

A. I did a lot of reading on history and economics in preparing to write The Price of Escape. I wanted the novel to be a personal story of an indecisive Jewish man arriving in the port city of Puerto Barrios, but again with the backdrop of the United Fruit Company and its monomaniacal stranglehold on Guatemala during the 1930s. The novel is a kind of “what if” story about my father, but with quite a lot of fabrication and transformation. My other novels grew out of what I already knew about my birth country—it was more of a question of figuring out how to tell the stories that I wanted to tell.

Q. Your characters in the book are extremely real and alive. Are they completely made up, or are they an amalgam of real people?

Q. Olivia Padilla Xuc was inspired by someone who isn’t Guatemalan or indigenous. Most of my novels have had male protagonists who were from a privileged class, and in this novel, I wanted to write about the indigenous population who, for the most part, have been either ignored, romanticized or mistreated by those in power. During the Ubico dictatorship of the 30s and 40s, the Maya were forced into labour because tending to their families and their crops meant they were idle. This was a crime! Olivia believes in herself, and because of that, she is able to transform her life from one of servitude to one of independence and achievement. In many ways, she developed in unpredictable ways. At times, I felt I had been a kind of Geppetto and she a Pinocchio-like figure.

Q. I saw on Facebook that you took the marvellous step of taking the book to schools in Guatemala. Could you briefly tell me the response of the children?

A. I participated in Guatemala’s FILGUA—its international book fair last month. F y G Editores published the Spanish version of Sleeping With the Lights On, and the publisher, Raul Figueroa, arranged for me to visit a public elementary school nearby. The school had no library, and the fifth and sixth graders had never seen a writer. They were thrilled to meet me, but to be honest, I received so much more from them: I was so grateful for their curiosity, enthusiasm and comments about my little chapter book.

Q. What has been the media response to the book? Has the right-wing press in Guatemala attacked the book?

A. The novel was first published in Mexico by a PRH imprint in 2011 and then published in Guatemala in 2014 to coincide with my receiving Guatemala’s Miguel Angel Asturias’s Literature Prize for lifetime achievement. The novel has been out of print now for about three years, and Denise Phe-Funchal, who translated Sleeping With the Lights On, is preparing a new translation. On several occasions, indigenous Guatemalan women came up to me and thanked me for telling “their story.” Well, it’s really just one story, but something touched them and that meant the world to me. I don’t expect the same reaction to the English edition, but I do hope that the book gets some coverage. Quien sabe? Maybe a good handful of readers will find that the novel touched them deeply.




Guatemalan-born David Unger is an award-winning translator and author. His short stories have appeared in several anthologies and literary journals in the United States and abroad.

He has translated thirteen books, among them works by Teresa Cárdenas, Rigoberta Menchú, Ana Maria Machado, Silvia Molina Elena Garro, Bárbara Jacobs and Nicanor Parra’s. He teaches Translation at City College of New York’s graduate M.A. Program and is the U.S. rep of the Guadalajara International Book Fair. He lives in Brooklyn.