Sunday 26 May 2024

Interview with Illustrator Marta Alvarez

Marta Álvarez is an author and children´s book illustrator living in A Coruña, Spain.She graduated in Psychology from the University of Santiago de Compostela in 2001, however her real passion was always drawing doodles in the margins of the notebooks.Marta debuts in 2002 writing and illustrating her first picture book "¡Cómo está o galiñeiro!" published by Xerais. Since then, she has worked for several Spanish and international publishing houses.In 2007 her artwork was selected and exhibited at the Bratislava Biennial of Illustration (BIB). She illustrated "Shark Lady: The True Story of How Eugenie Clark Became the Ocean´s Most Fearless Scientist", which was named one of the Best Children´s Books of 2017 by Parents Magazine, and won the Blue Spruce Award in 2018. She also painted the funny and charming illustrations of "What is Poo?", which won the Silver Award at the Junior Design Awards 2017.Marta Álvarez is a member of the Galician Illustrators Association (AGPI).

Q. How did you get involved in the Jose Feeds the World Book

I had previously worked with Sourcebooks publishing house illustrating picture book biographies like “Shark Lady” and “The Girl Who Heard the Music”. So I guess they thought I was perfect for this new project, and I am Spanish like José Andres, which was an added plus.

I was very excited to illustrate this nice story, and it was a little challenging for me, too, because I had never painted scenes of natural disasters or war scenes. I didn't want the book to be too dramatic or sad; I wanted to highlight more the feeling of hope and help from José Andres and World Central Kitchen.

Q. Tell me a little about your background and previous work.

I was born in Vilagarcía, a small town surrounded by countryside and sea in northern Spain. As a child, I enjoyed nature and animals. I liked to create my own stories and draw a lot, but I did not study fine arts when I grew up. Instead, I graduated in Psychology in 2001. In 2002, I wrote and illustrated my first Picture book titled  "¡Cómo está o galiñeiro!” (means like crazy chickens), and a small Galician publishing house published it. Since then I’ve been illustrating books for Spanish publishers and for publishers mainly in the US and UK, although many of my books have already been translated into many languages such as Chinese, Swedish or Japanese. My best-known books are "Shark Lady", "Dinosaur Lady" and "What is poo? Very first questions and Answers" which is part of a very popular children's book series in the UK and abroad.

Q. Have you always worked digitally for the book Jose Feeds the World?

Most of it, yes. I usually make the sketches with pencil and paper, then scan them and finish the final art in photoshop or other painting software. I always try to make digital art similar to other, more traditional media. It's much easier to change digital art because it's all organized into multiple layers.

 

Q How, if at all, has AI impacted your work

Well, I hope it has not had too much of an impact for the moment in the sense that AI ends up replacing us and leaving illustrators out of work. Making a book is much more complex for an AI than making a single image. There is a repeated character, and there must be very good consistency in all the illustrations. You start to notice a lot when an image is made by AI. When you look closely, you see that there are many strange, incomprehensible or unfinished details. It is possible to speed up some tasks, AI is a powerful tool in many fields. I know that some illustrators use it to get inspiration in the sketching phase, not as final art, but it doesn't appeal to me at all. My style is very personal.

Q Central Kitchen is currently working in Gaza. The Israeli military blatantly killed some

of its members. Could you comment on that situation?

I think it was something terrible. In general, I believe that what Israel is doing in Gaza is disproportionate and horrible. Spain will recognize the Palestinian state on May 28. I want them to agree and stop this war soon, but I imagine it won't be easy.

Q the book has received much praise and publicity. Have you been involved in any of the publicity?

No, but I would have liked to. Since I live in Spain, I don't know much about what's going on there, but I try to keep up to date on social media, and I'm very happy to see that the book is recommended. I also like to be in contact with the writer, David Unger, and see his book presentations in bookstores or libraries. It's great!

Q: What projects or books are you working on now?

I am working on a series of books that unite science and faith. The first book has already been published: "God's Little Astronomer", and now I am finishing the second: "God's little oceanographer.”